Satellite
  • Day 1

    Omanian nights

    November 21, 2016 in Oman ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We had a stop over for one night in Oman which gave us enough time to realise this isn't our type of place.... It's a dry country!

    Oman
    We have arrived on the eve of the kings birthday who is very popular if the street decorations of green, red and white are to be believed. The whole boulevard is lit with atring lights as well as most shops, garages, cafes and hotels. It is like there is a competition to see who can have the best lights display. There are also hundreds of pictures of the king everywhere!

    The driving quality is good and in the right.
    They paint their cars and there is no rain so it doesn't wash off which is cute most having some sort of personalisation in the colours of the flag. We try to go over a bridge where there is a wagon from Dubai causing traffic build up because it weighs over the 3tonne limit 😂 (artic with 30 2t bags on it)!! All bridges which are generally pre cast concrete have a 3 tonne limit.

    There is a large range of building sites ranging from a small hotel where they use paint tins filled with concrete with 3x2 in for hoarding and no PPE, to sites with 10 stories of system scaffold and boots, hat and hi-vis being used by most. Every job even 3 stories seems to have a tower crane.
    Most jobs seem to have a pretty good standard of edge protection.

    Plant is in a good state of repair and much better than most parts of Western Europe having standard wagons, HIABS, cranes, lots of CAT stuff, and concrete wagons.

    They use pre-cast everywhere as well as slip form concrete.

    EVERYONE (men) wears white but it's so white!! How do they get it so white?? Their wives must be good (may need to do a stint here as a wife course). Explains what wifeys do here all the time though as there are very few out socially. We walked about a mile down the boulevard and there were literally dozens of groups of men just chillin looking at the sea, waffling sitting. There was one group of black lads not dressed singing and dancing which was pretty cool but the only thing going on for miles!

    Man:holly - getting more leg room
    Donkey: Charlie for not removing barriers or wet stuff when going through customs!
    Read more