Satellite
  • Day 11

    Follow the Leader Leader!

    January 19, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    19/01/17

    Koh Ta Kiev (Cambodia)

    We awake for the first time on our little island and it's amazing. We have a panoramic 'window' opening (no window just air!) with just bright blue sea outside. It's amazing.

    Have a hearty breakfast but there is no mushroom left on the island. There is no power anywhere on the island nor running water. Everything if it's not caught here is brought in by boat. It's pretty cool for a limited time ha.

    We decide to go to the fishing village on the other side of the island. There is a map painted on a piece of tree trunk which we try to remember. We also ask for directions from some treehouse staff who have never been there.

    We set off following our friend Sullivan (the dog).... We walk along the abandoned road the Chinese have dug. A Chinese firm has a lease on the island for 99 years, but the recession hit when they started work so the only thing they achieved was reduce level digging. This has now been covered in undergrowth and new trees etc. Of course we're english so we end up walking in the mid day heat but I don't think this dog is nuts. We keep following Sully but end up at a mango farm. Turns out we missed a turning and went to the furthest possible point on the island ffs. Who would've thought following a dog wouldn't work!!!?

    So we head home after a couple of hours burning with our friend and go and meet pakora and Tal for a mooch to elephant rock.

    More effort required as we walk along the coast for an hour and then swim over.

    As we're swimming some kayakers tell us the tide is out round there so not to jump in! Bloody hell! So it's a big swim back carefully avoiding coral as it contains some of the biggest sea urchins we've ever seen!

    We have to guide pakora back in the end as she has no snorkel only a mask, and the sea scape changed that often you could be in the deep one minute and about to beach on an urchins spikes the next!! It was a lot of effort but luckily she was behind me at one point as a haviana floated off and I didn't notice. Noblet then took the lead but kept getting distracted by the fact he could tell the time under water with his new watch!!!! This lead to him going off course by 180 degrees!! What a doughnut!!! Eventually he managed to stay on track and pakora arrived safe and well haha!!

    Spoke to a drunk French captain in the bar who agreed to take us out fishing on his boat tomorrow... See how this goes!!!

    We made our way back to the treehouse for some below par tapas, and then all got stuck listening to some average singer/guitarist doing a 'set'. You know that awkward kind of looking at you whilst singing thing!

    Anyway we had some more beers and called it a night excited for fishing tomorrow!!

    man: Pakora - surviving without a snorkel

    Donkey: Noblet for times against humanity
    Read more