Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4 - York and Yorkshire

    July 5, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    What do we typically think about when York is mentioned? For me it's Yorkshire pudding, Vikings, ancient architecture and Monty Python. Not sure if any Python was a Yorkshireman or where pudding originated.

    The day started at Darley. A drive through the Dales, Harrogate (the traffic was horrendous) and to the outskirts of York. About a 40 minute drive. Our host had already recommended we use the Park n Ride facility. Car parked, £10 for bus tickets return for four and we were in York in no time. The best way to get the lay of the land and an introduction is on the hop in hop off bus. Great drivers who a very helpful and funny. we bought day tickets and hopped on and alighted close to the Minster. By now it was time for coffee so we found an independent cafe with a twist. The cafe is built into part of the ancient wall and even had a remnant of the Roman wall under a glass panel in the floor. Amazing - and perfect coffee.

    Next it was time to visit the Jorvik Viking center. A great way to learn about the past. When we arrived at the center the entry queue was about 100 deep. We estimated it would take about 2 hours before we could get in and thought, no we can other things. So we were Viking deprived. Instead we looked over Clifford Castle. The remains of a 13th century castle high in an embankment, complete with spiral stone staircases. Gabbing still not recovered from the Boston stair climb, we reluctantly began. At least these stairs were shorter. The climb to the top of the Castle was well worth it. The view is amazing. Easy to envision archers high on the platform firing down on enemies. Pouring boiling oil, throwing rocks. Great history.

    A short walk to the Minster and look over this ornate and elaborate cathedral, and a walk around was time to hop in the bus for more information and inspiration.

    By now it was time for lunch. A location Italian restaurant provided great service and food. After the recharge it was time to climb and walk the city wall. Thoroughly recommended. The walk is quite easy but a little scary in parts because so parts don't have a handrail or barriers.

    Time to head home via Sainsbury's for supplies, fill up the hire car and catch some vistas in the Dales. The hire car is a Mitsubishi plug in hybrid. The car came with very few instructions. With only 2000 miles on the clock, still in prime condition. Luckily the accommodation host has the identical car. He told us about the charging process and features.

    Enroute to the Dales we pass RAF Menwith Hill radar installation. From a distance it looks like white shade houses. As you get closer it's a weird sight of many giant white golf balls. As you drive past it's hard not to get the feeling you are in the XFiles movie and you are about to have your first encounter with aliens. Weird feeling. The Dales beckon. Rolling hills as far as the eye can see. Rock paddock fences. Neatly stacked that have stood if time for what looks like centuries. A beautiful sight.
    Read more