Satellite
  • Day 11

    Day 11 - London day 3

    July 12, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Kensington palace was first on the agenda today. After a train, a tube ride and short walk we were there. The fast track entry was a breeze, especially as there were many people waiting to buy tickets. A right royal palace. Well preserved and regal. Kings state rooms, Queens chambers. Princes William and Harry live there but not in the sections open to the public. It's a huge place with excellent grounds.

    We had arranged to meet an old family friend - well family member. Gary was married to one of my cousins, but sadly they went their own separate ways years ago but we still kept in touch, albeit sporadically. He works for the British Olympic Association so we went to his offices in Fitzrovia. Gary showed us the various Olympic torches on desplay. Some very impressive. The Torch tradition started with Hitler apparently and continues to this day. After viewing the torches and gleaning British trade secrets to be passed on to the Australian Olympic Committee (just joking) we all headed to Marks & Spencers to grab some lunch and we headed to Regents Park. Great lunch and conversation. It was good to catch up with Gary again.

    Next was a tube and train ride to Kew gardens for the afternoon. What an impressive and well laid out garden. The highlights were the huge glass houses for the palms and lilies. Stepping inside reminded us of tropical Queensland. Stepping back out into the London air and breeze was refreshing. Usually it's the other way around for us. Then there was the impressive high tree-top platform you can walk up stairs to and catch the elevator down from. Great to walk in the treetops. The Garden was closing early at 5PM as there was a live concert being held in the night so we left and cought the hour and fifteen minute train ride home.
    Read more