Satellite
  • Day 9

    Stoked in Revel

    May 2, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    How would I describe Revelstoke, BC? Think Queenstown [NZ], Beechworth [Victoria], Obberamagau [Bavaria] then add charm, pride, setting and really friendly people and you've got 'the Stoke'. In winter a skiiing / snowboarding mecca; in summer a mountain bike paradise.

    We arrived Tuesday, and just the entrance alone was enough to say we had to stay. With six main mountains well over 2000 metres surrounding the town and the mighty Columbia River flowing through the centre, the setting is spectacular.

    Snow was on all the mountain tops, but only a month ago the whole area was struggling with the heaviest falls in the valley ever - one to two metres deep everywhere! A lovely walk across the deep blue river saw us finish our day. The sun disappeared behind one of the mountains at 6:30pm but still light well after 9pm.

    After breakfast we walked into town and found the mandatory coffee shop, enjoying a decent 'flat white'. The town has many 'art deco' buildings so the cameras were busy. Then Sheree wandered around the shops and I hired a bike to enjoy the delights of the trails along the river.

    Our dinner under our tree at the RV park was delghtful, enjoying the quietness, the stillness and the freshness on offer. We were 'stoked'!
    Read more