Satellite
  • Day 24

    A whole new world

    May 17, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Thick moss-covered branches, a hint of sunlight, fern-covered ground and moisture-laden air - this is the world of west coast forests. Our doorway in is via Bridal Veil Falls. We'd been 'out east' exploring the Rockies and other mountain ranges Now the reality of work drew us west.

    The drive from Princeton to Hope, through EC Manning Park was spectacular. Over several snowy passes and then this huge descents into narrow valleys surrounded by vertical shards of thick green forest. We couldn't see the mountain tops from our windows... too tall!

    We'd entered a world of mist, cloud-covered monoliths surrounding Hope, a town we'd already visited. Today our final stop was at Bridal Falls, on the edge of Highway One, out of Vancouver. It's a delightful stream plummeting from the mountains above.

    We entered a mysterious dimly-lit enclave - the forest - enchanting! The sounds, sights, smells and sensations you don't get living in the Rockies. This is more subtle. Precious little flowers, decomposing logs, unfurling green ferns, tall thick trees, creating a mysterious illusion.

    The Falls were a photographer's paradise. In the late afternoon sun they were showing themselves off proudly. This whole new world allowed us to pause and become snap happy.
    Read more