Satellite
  • Day 6

    Pushkar

    October 27, 2019 in India ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Where to begin. Initially Pushkar was described in the brochure as a place where DIanne could get a camel ride. She has wanted to do that ever since I talked about my camel ride experience while on a layover in Dubai. My opinion of camels has been on the low side of the scale since that time.

    The Pushkar camel fair is an annual event like the Calgary Stampede. It is going to happen right after the festival of Diwali and preparations are well underway. Tents have been set up and grandstands ready to be erected. Combined with the lights and colours surrounding Diwali, this a happening place. It is also according to our local guide, the holiest site for Hindus.

    The Brahma Temple is here and Pushkar lake is a holy place to spread your ashes after you’ve passed. Our guide brings us through the temple and down to the lake. His dissertation as we go along is about all the good work that the Foundation is doing here. We are blessed by the lake in a small ceremony with ribbons around our wrists and red dots placed on our foreheads. I am given a small coconut to offer to Brahma. We say a prayer led by our guide. I can see this is all designed to get me in the spirit of giving. The suggested donation is 100 dollars, or if you really want to help, 300. In spite of all the prayers and mantras, ceremonies and blessings, I am feeling less generous. I don’t know what is wrong with me, but that is how it is. I have to be honest with myself. Dianne waits by the lake as I am told to take my coconut to the office and give it to the officer of gift management. Give the coconut, along with whatever my good karma will allow. Dianne is enjoying this small drama as it unfolds. She knows there is no danger of me feeling too generous and giving too much, and she is eager to find out how I am going to manage their expectations. I give my coconut to officer of gift managing, he looks at me expecting more. I open my man purse and produce a twenty. He responds. More. I respond. It’s all I’m willing to give. I turn and walk away. Dianne now wants a selfie by the lake. She gives me heck when I’m not generous with my smiles. I’m all smiled out just now.
    Read more