Satellite
  • Day 22

    Pokhara back to Kathmandu

    November 12, 2019 in Nepal ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Disappointing morning as we had no driver to to the mountain. We did get some photos from the hotel roof, but not as good as we like. Now we are waiting at Pokhara airport for Buddha Air flight to Kathmandu. This airport is a throwback to earlier time when you could walk outside of the airport restaurant to an observation deck and see the coming and goings of the aircraft. We have a direct view of the single runway. The largest aircraft we have seen is an ATR 72, and some smaller. All the baggage is hand loaded and all the baggage carts are pulled by manpower.

    So far we are delayed by 2 hours, and there is no sign of our inbound aircraft. We’ll see how this goes.

    It goes like this. I order fries for us because we are getting hungry. It takes a while, as there is only one cook for a lot of waiting passengers. They call our flight to head through security, and we gather our precious possessions. Our fries arrive as we are walking out. The waiter looks more disappointed than any of us and I for one am disappointed.
    Security is a bonding experience. After your carry on bags are X-rayed you step into a curtained area where a one on one frisking takes place. It is like a massage of your whole body. I would have preferred a female masseuse, but that is not done here.
    We had a bet as to when Takeoff thrust would be applied. Liz won as she guessed within a minute. It was 15:44 local, three and a half hours late. Abit, our guide for Kathmandu was at the airport to greet us. We were too late for our planned evening dinner and cultural presentation so that was rescheduled.
    Read more