Satellite
  • Day 2

    First day of sightseeing

    May 31, 2019 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    After a good night's sleep and leisurely breakfast, we wandered round the old town and out of the gate into the new town which despite its name dates from the 15C. It too has been reconstructed in parts but one building is the home of Marie Curie who then went by her Polish name of Maria Sklodowska. It is now a museum to her and is a fascinating place containing some of the lab equipment and lots of photos and possessions. They were a remarkable family of teachers, doctors, physicists, chemists, bioengineers with several Nobel prizes between them. Some lovely photos of Marie attending science symposiums with a roll call of the greats of science in the early 20C.
    Then on to another museum - a new one celebrating the contribution of Jews to Poland from the 13C onwards to their extermination. The section on the Warsaw ghetto was particularly sobering, it's incredible that one section of humankind can do that to another section, but of course things continue to the present day. A very impressive museum which makes us realise how little we know about eastern Europe.
    It's been another beautiful warm and sunny day much better weather than we expected.
    Read more