Satellite
  • Day 3

    Saturday - cathedral and museum

    June 1, 2019 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Warsaw was where Chopin was born and brought up so the city has Chopin stuff everywhere (even the airport is called Warsaw Chopin) so last night we went to a small Chopin concert just round the corner from the apartment. Today was cloudy and overcast at first then very humid and at 24 degrees very hot and then sunny so a cool visit to the cathedral, which is pleasantly light and airy, was very welcome. It was destroyed of course and rebuilt. It is full of wonderful stained glass windows - nearly full height, roof to floor, - and really well done. Next door is the Jesuit church - also very plain and tasteful. Then on to the national museum - a 20 minute walk in the sun before we found that the antiques section - Egyptian, Roman etc - was closed for renovation. However they have a very fine section from an excavation in Nubia of a cathedral stuffed full of frescos dating to the 8th to 12th centuries, and that was wonderful, and lots of Coptic and meroitic material.

    Saturday seems to be family fun day in Warsaw and all the squares and streets are packed with people. The square outside the apartment has buskers and jugglers and balloon sellers and dancing groups ..... Now .. Where can we find somewhere quiet to eat??
    Read more