Satellite
  • Day 36

    Road signs (2) & driving (so far).

    August 18, 2016 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Okay..I did say there would be a follow-up to my road signs entry...

    General driving...it isn't hard but it us a bit different to Australia, (and not just riding on the other side of the road). And you do have to get right, well, right enough to make it home.

    Driving in Europe is based on "priority" which I guess is a little bit like "right-of-way" back home. And I do mean a "little" bit. Basically on an unregulated intersection anyone coming from your right has "priority" to continue. It doesn't matter if you are on a major road, if not regulated by signs they have priority. Priority on your road is shown by a yellow diamond, end of priority is shown by the same diamond with a black diagonal line crossing through it. Now what does this mean. It means be careful and don't take anything for granted because whilst you might be on a priority road there maybe:

    1. An "older" European (insert French, German, Italian) driver who has always had priority and doesn't give a damn about these new (after WW2) road rules and people always stop for me any way; or
    2. A tourist from (insert Australia, New Zealand, UK etc.) has just arrived and it can't be that different from home.

    Speed limits - if I make it home without a fine, well it will be pure luck. As you approach a village/town it will have its name on a yellow rectangular sign. Miss this and you've missed the 50kmh speed limit sign...yep that's all you get. There's lots of fixed cameras and hopefully they are all forward facing (for those that don't ride a bike...no front number plate! ☺). Same when your leaving town, same town sign but with a diagonal black line through it. Now this might mean it's 70kmh, 90kmh or 100kmh but never mind as the helpful truck driver behind you will let you know if you are going too slow. He'll use the international signal (flashing his lights) to signify "your going too slow you tourist knobhead". He will actually be the same truck driver that used the international signal (gesticulating by slapping his left hand against his right bicep whilst honking his horn - see the pic) for "your going to fast you tourist knobhead" when you passed him on the way into town. Note: that pic is not the actual truck driver but probably his better looking cousin. Ohh, if your not sure what the guesture means GOOGLE " BRAS D'HONNEUR.

    Other things that make driving interesting. Tram tracks....sometimes the tack gap is just big enough to fit a front tyre into. This is great because you now have an automomous motorbike that self-steers. Cobblestones, just the thing to massage your sore ass after a few hours in the saddle, and to helpfully deodorise your clothes because the shampoo bottle leaked all over them - ust add water when you get to the motel.

    City streets (including roundabouts) that have no lane markings but manage to fit 2 cars, a bus, a motorbike and a pushbike in a space that really isn't quite big enough.But where there is a will, well you'll probably find a French man or woman.

    Oh yes, in farming areas tractors, harvesters and people walking cows apparently have automatic priority, even in the town itself - I've seen it!!!

    Now quickly.....signs.

    Ausfahrt..means ironically (see the reference to clothes peg for nose) an exit to nowhere, but usually a roadside parking spot with, maybe, a toilet. Two hints, bring your own paper/clothes peg to use on your nose, and when you see one stop. Europe is not big on public toilets - even the service stations charge you to use them!!!!

    The sign with the guy in the overcoat, no idea but I'm guessing there is a serial flasher near Hannover.

    Apparently you can go in any direction and still get where you want to go. Autres Directions means Other Directions and Toutes Directions means All Directions..buggered if I know.

    Ohh, not my pic, but looks like they knew I was heading their way!!!!

    It's actually not that hard and a lot of fun.

    Ahh well, am looking forward to the next ride.

    Cheers
    Read more