Satellite
  • Day 47

    Bratislava / Slovakia (who knew)

    August 29, 2016 in Slovakia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    For a very long time I wanted to to a motorbike trip around Europe but if you had of asked me, even 12 months ago, "do you think you will be in the Slovakian' capital in August 2016" I don't know if I even new what city is the capital of Slovakia. Not too long a day riding, but when you only travel back roads and stay away from motorways and toll ways, it takes a while to cover kms.

    The city is quite bit smaller than Prague so you get to see more of it which means the disparities within the city are more obvious. Parts are fantastic, well maintained and impressive. Parts are really quite depressive.

    There is a small park opposite a cafe (where I managed to get a "normal" hot chocolate) just a few metres down from the hotel I stayed at. I noticed what I gathered was an older homeless man lying unmoving, in relatively long grass, behind a park bench. A few hours later he was still there not having moved an arm or leg. I got a bit worried he might be in trouble do I gingerly went over and couldn't see any sign of life. I thought about letting some authority know but decided to shake his shoulder in case he was just asleep. A little shake elicited no response so I gave him a bigger one. Well, I think I found the guy who taught the two guys in Dresden how to swear in at least 5 languages. I'm not sure what he said but he was still going off at me as I walked/ran back past the cafe (where the crowd had gathered to see the fun - his swearing was replaced by their laughter as I passed). Sort of funny, but sad to see, homelessness seems to be everywhere, including at home.

    Lets go to Hungary next.
    Read more