Satellite
  • Day 33

    Bruges

    October 4, 2019 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Have I previously mentioned we usually get up of a morning and have breakfast? A day out in Bruge (about a 45 minute drive) - speed limit is 120kph on the freeway but, apparently, it must only be advisory as I was overtaken by every other vehicle on the road. We had booked a 1 and 1/2 hour walking tour but the guide didn’t turn up🤨. Bit hard to complain when it was going to be free - guess you get what you pay for. Ok, so we substituted a half hour horse-drawn carriage ride. Not free - 50 euros plus a 10 euro tip for the horse!!!!! Actually it was pretty good - some random tourist took a pic of us as we went past. I was going to try and charge him £10 (I mean we didn’t pay £60 so he could get a free pic) but I wasn’t allowed 🤷‍♂️. The driver/guide gave us a pretty good commentary. She pointed out some very old buildings that had their windows bricked up - Napoleon, when he conquered Belgium, imposed a window tax. If you couldn’t afford to pay you lost your view (harsh). Bruges is a beautiful city with a lot of history with its own magnificent cathedral (Sint-Salvatorskathedraal). Weather was starting to set-so we headed back to Nazareth after a good day.

    Ohh, just I’m case you’re wondering, I haven’t put on weight - it’s cold and I’ve got about 4 layers on 😁.
    Read more