Satellite
  • Day 35

    Amsterdam

    October 6, 2019 in the Netherlands ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    The weather is just horrible - (very) cold and light rain ☔️. We caught the metro into the town centre where Anne had to buy a new umbrella after the wind nearly turned hers inside-out. We decided the best thing to do would be a canal tour in an enclosed boat. The idea was good, warm and dry, but also meant the windows fogged up and so too difficult to take photos or get a really good view - but on such a horrible day it was good way to do some sightseeing. Much of the city is built on land reclaimed from the sea as well as very soft soil. This means that many of the buildings (particularly on or near the canals) have quite a lean as one side sinks faster than the other!!!

    After the cruise we tried to do some more sightseeing on foot, but the weather really was too bad. Having said that, there were hardier souls than us and the city was still really busy with tourists (though a lot of them probably weren’t feeling the cold, just hungry). We decided it was time to head back to the hotel. I’d brought along our google chromecast so we watched Netflix for the afternoon.

    We did see two really tiny 🚗. Ohh and 🚲 are one of the main modes of transport.

    Tomorrow we’re off to Hanover in Germany.
    Read more