Satellite
  • Day 73

    Bologna to Citta di castello

    November 13, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    We’re heading to Rome and Città Di Castello (City of the Castle) is an overnight stop on the way. We stopped at a small village, for a coffee, and found a parking spot but it was only for a maximum of 30 minutes. I asked a local who said “if you get a ticket frame it - it’ll be the only one ever issued in this town”. I really did expect a ticket on our return (nearly bought a frame) but none!!!

    We got to Città Di Castello mid-afternoon and really weren’t expecting much - just somewhere to stay overnight. Wow were we, once again, surprised. Really nice (and cheap hotel) and the town looks like something out of a storybook (complete with fortified wall). Beautiful streets, the castle and 2 very old magnificently maintained churches. I climbed the cathedral tower and the views of the town were fantastic.

    We stopped in at the cathedral and listened to musicians rehearsing for a mass. We came back later in the evening and it looked like a bishop was giving the service, and there must have been more than a thousand people crammed in side.

    Like many European towns (and some cities) the place shuts down for 2 or 3 hours after lunch (eat and a siesta - something I think would go well back home). But, they then reopen until 8pm or later. By 3.30 pm the main square was completely full of families - not sure where they all came from.

    We stopped in at a restaurant, around 7 pm, for dinner. Even though the place was empty (looked like they could sit at least 50 people) they said they couldn’t fit us in unless we were happy to eat now and be out by, say, 8.30 pm. Italians like to eat late, and take a long time doing it!!!! Another really good meal (lucky we’re averaging about 10 kms a day walking).

    I liked the place so much I tried to convince Anne to sell up and move here 😁.

    Tomorrow my Italian driving skills will be tested - we’re staying at an apartment in inner Rome. I’ve been practicing my gesticulating, horn honking and swearing (and my apologising to other motorists). I’ll need a good sleep......
    Read more