Satellite
  • Day 78

    Rome Day 5

    November 18, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Last full day I’m Rome and the sun is trying to come out and say goodbye to us. We have tickets to the Vatican and Sistine Chappel for 1 pm. Anne went out for a bit of shopping while Carl and I had a rest. Had lunch then headed off - the Vatican is only 2 metro stops from us.

    The Vatican museum is huge with artefacts from all over the world. There are floors after floors - we had a 3 hours or so but you could easily spend a 3 days or more. It makes you wonder how much of the collection was “appropriated”.

    The Sistine Chapel is not huge, but the paintings are just special and the Michelangelo ceiling is in a class of its own. Pity no photography allowed. The Chapel gets 5 million visitors a year - most of them were here today.

    The line up to go into the Vatican itself was hundreds of metres long, in the rain. It was getting late afternoon so we decided not to go in. A good excuse for Carl to come back to visit Rome.

    Back to the apartment. No McDonald’s for dinner tonight, but the trade-off is Anne is cooking. Beautiful dinner and the best we’ve had in Italy!!!!

    I need to be rested for the drive to Florence tomorrow. It’s not to far but it does mean tackling Rome’s traffic again.
    Read more