Satellite
  • Day 39

    Salceda

    August 9, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Our plan of getting off the published stages has worked great! We started walking today with a few other people and soon the pack was nicely spread out. Until a couple of hours along when a bus of German people pulled past us and unloaded 40 people who started walking as we got to them. I think the bus picks them up at the end of each day, takes them to a hotel for the night, and brings them back to the Camino the next day. We let them go ahead of us at first, and later passed them when they stopped for a rest. A little forced marching got us ahead enough that we could relax and enjoy the rest of the walk.

    We have been seeing more eucalyptus trees for the last couple of days. They are getting to be the predominant species. When we first encountered them, we thought a farmer had sprayed chemicals recently. Gradually, we recognized that it was a Vick’s vaporub smell like used in a vaporizer.

    The countryside we are passing through is mostly forest. It’s been tree tunnels providing shade most of the time. Really pleasant! The weather continues to be fantastic. We wear our jackets in the morning, and it hasn’t gotten above 80 for weeks. It’s really unusual, and we’re not complaining.

    Tomorrow we have a walk of about 11 miles. That will put us about 6 miles outside of Santiago de Compostela, and the end of our walk across Spain! So we will cross the finish line this Wednesday! It seems startling, like it snuck up on us or something.
    Read more