Satellite
  • Day 4

    Västerås, Sweden

    May 6, 2016 in Sweden ⋅ 🌙 7 °C

    Day 3:

    Today we left Stockholm on a short bus and train ride to meet with Danielle's family in Västerås. On leaving the train station, we caught a glimpse of the large park in the city, as well as viking ruins on the way out to the country. Arriving at Owe and Anette's house, it was as if we were transported into a fairy tale! A handmade wooden fence specific to Dalarna fashion lines the entrance to the garden, which contains a state-protected sacrificial altar of some sort from the Vikings. The buildings are all painted in the classic red color with white trim, modeled after the early 19th century soldier's house on the property.

    After taking some much-needed time to soak up the beauty of the countryside, we experienced the true meaning of "fika" for the first time. It thankfully set a new pace, in contrast to the fast-moving city. The afternoon soon turned to night amidst conversation, beers, sausages, family trees, a phenomenal dinner, and us failing miserably at Swedish pronunciations... It has been a long, but fulfilling day and we can't wait to see what is in store for tomorrow in Grängesberg.

    Godnatt!
    Read more