Satellite
  • Day 17

    Bergen, Norway

    May 19, 2016 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Day 16:

    This morning we caught an early train from Oslo to Bergen. It was a little stressful... Apparently it was "recommended" that we reserve seats, but the train was completely booked. We had to find seats that weren't taken and cross our fingers that we didn't get bumped out and have to stand! The conductor lady was a boss and let us sit in her reserved seats about halfway along the journey. So we could finally relax, enjoy the views, and have some train fika. The train went so quickly from the city, to countryside with crystal clear lakes, to huge snow covered mountains. And so. many. tunnels along the way. We reached up to about 1,500 meters above sea level before heading down towards Bergen. From one coast to another, through the mountains in 6 hours. It was so surreal.

    Side story, this guy forgot his bag on the train when he got off. Instead of telling conductor that he needed to go back on to get it, he decides to run back on the train, furiously grab it, turn around with a cartoonishly stressed out look on his face as the whistle blows, and sprint out, almost decking an old man on the way. Meanwhile, there is an older Norwegian woman losing her mind laughing. Right in the guy's face. Not a giggle, not hiding it, but watching him the whole way and expelling this bellowing laughter. It was a memorable occurrence.

    We got to Bergen and wandered up (and by up, I mean up a mountainside) to the flat we're staying at. We met our hosts, and most importantly, their husky. The view from our room is insane. Then we went to dinner at a cool little place down the street and had whale carpaccio!

    Its going to be a very earlt night, but we can't wait to walk around the town tomorrow!
    Read more