Satellite
  • Day 34

    District 6, Zürich, Switzerland

    June 5, 2016 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Day 33:

    Today was an interesting travel day. We were on the precipice of another crazy storm on our walk to the station, but luckily avoided it. The first leg was a bus, made for particularly small individuals. Just an hour on the road put us well out of Luxembourg, back into Germany. Then a train took us to Mannheim, Germany. At Mannheim station, we picked up some lunch for our expected 30 minute wait. Unfortunately, the signal boxes went down, so the whole station was at a standstill for an hour. We had no idea what was going on until a friendly German family told us about the malfunction. After finally boarding the train, it was SUPPOSED to be a 250 km/h straight shot to Zürich, with just a couple of stops. But of course, somehow it was our fault that the train was late, so they decided to just stop at the second to last station, leaving us to make yet another connection... so that made it 3 trains, a bus, and over 8 hours. At that point, there wasn't much left in the tank.

    Once in Zürich, it was a relatively short walk to the apartment. Almost directly uphill. It was giving us flashbacks from Bergen. But we finally got to the apartment to realize that we booked the whole place to ourselves. And more importantly, there's a pizza place right across the street. So that happened. Danielle got to try her first Peroni, so finally knows what Jason has been raving about for the past few years. And we love the fact that there is no such thing as cents, or a currency lower than the franc here. In our change, we got a coin that reads "1/2 franc". Brilliant!

    Now a little bit of TV and an early bedtime is exactly what we need.
    Read more