Satellite
  • Day 6

    Wesley Stormborn and Big Sur

    April 5, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    As expected, Monterey was Danielle's favorite town so far, so we took our time and enjoyed a cup from Tidal Coffee while overlooking the bay.

    Half an hour down the rainy, iconic Central Coast craggy rocks and turquoise water, we popped out to take pictures of the Bixby Creek Bridge on our way into Big Sur. This is about the time when we realized that we had made it to the extremely popular section of the PCH drive. View points were packed, but for a good reason. Even the awkward, unofficial pullouts had incredible views!

    As we reached Big Sur, thick clouds surrounded us. It was absolutely pouring by the time that we made the side trek down to Pfeiffer Beach. Sue was a champion, yet again, getting us through the two foot flooded road into the park with ease. It was terrifying seeing a Kia Optima attempt a very steamy crossing and even more horrifying seeing a lowered Mustang parked in the lot... people are crazy. Setting ourselves up for the walk out, we once again noticed that our little stormborn baby is at his happiest when it is chilly and raining. With the happy little bear strapped to his dad, we headed out to the beach. Dramatic is an understatement. Giant rock structures with waves crashing through portholes... it was an absolutely stunning place to be. Soaked to the core, we just watched and felt the waves continue to pound. After a good half an hour, we started back to the car through the small grove of cypresses that covered our path. Smiles on all three of our faces, we turned the seat warmers on and headed back across the flooded road back to the 1.

    With our views topping out at about 30 feet, we continued through Big Sur until the soupiness cleared at Ragged Point. Wesley fast asleep after our last adventure, we took turns walking out to the viewpoints. There was a pod of dolphins making their way south, just under the horizon. High above the waves with rain still dripping from the pine needles, it was a truly serene place.

    Lunch was at a goofy little cafe that used some play on words about seals. After what was definitely Progresso in a bread bowl, we were back on the road to see the elephant seals at Piedras Blancas. Hundreds of juveniles and old ladies were piled on top of each other along the beach, while the young ones practiced swimming in the surf. A stiff smell and a sound reminiscent of cartoon belches filled the air. The seals on the beach were molting their old skin and fur for a sleek, new grey suit for the year. There are no older males ashore this time of year, so no fighting or giant noses, but it was pretty crazy to see, anyway!

    With the end of our unplanned vacation nearing, we made sure to have seafood for dinner at a small place in Pismo Beach, where we're staying for the night. Sand dabs, softshell crab, and a sunset over the pier topped off our day. Tomorrow will be the last day of our journey. A bittersweet farewell to the coastal roads, but a very sweet reunion with our firstborn, four-legged daughter!
    Read more