Satellite
  • Day 14

    Meziadin Lake, Cassiar Hwy

    June 29, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 77 °F

    Had excellent breakfast in Smithers on the way out of town, Two Sisters cafe, pancakes for Tom and French toast with prosciutto for me! So good!
    Heading northwest, stopped at Moricetown Canyon.
    When the salmon are running they (First Nation locals) catch the fish with nets here. Actually a pretty spot. Next stop was another Canyon, Hagilwet (?) that had a very cool suspension Bridge we could walk across.
    We pretty much kept driving from that stop on because the park we wanted to stay at, Meziadin Lake was "first come, first serve" and this weekend is Canadas three day, with Canada Day on July 1st. Got in about 3 with only a couple of sites left. Got a great site overlooking the lake next to an incredibly nice Canadian couple, Dennis and Edith. Shared "adult beverages " and popcorn with them. Their home is in Smithers and they were just returning. We picked the brains about routes and stops. Just great people!
    After beverages we spent most of the evening inside due to rain...and when the rain stopped, wow...we did the mosquitoes seem to intensify. Both Tom and I struggled with getting bit even IN the RV. I actually got out of bed and put on repellant! Just going in and out let them get "in", and you know that awful feeling when you can hear them buzz in your ear! But we survived, am not going to let this get me down.
    PS we saw two black bears today!
    Read more