Satellite
  • Day 16

    The last of the Cassiar Hwy (Hwy 37)

    July 1, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 59 °F

    Had a pretty exciting storm last night....not surprising, the weather always seems a little volatile with dark clouds rolling in and out of hot, sunny days! As we were getting ready for bed, the wind kicked up, thunder and lighting began, and got closer and closer, then rain gushed in. It was loud and exciting, and over in 30 minutes, then hot and humid again as the sun came back out! Sunset is at about 11:00 p.m. and sunrise at about 4 a.m.! Needless to say garden flowers, hanging pots, wildflowers are all gorgeous!

    Today we finished our drive north on 37, Cassiar Highway. We have really liked the drive, road can be a little rough, and traffic is pretty sparse! We work hard to find wildlife, but they are not being cooperative! We did actually spy a moose; slammed on the brakes, backed up on the highway, got out the binoculars (thank you Clarke) and had a nice view of a female moose in a meadow! Large and stately, it was actually very cool!

    Stopped for lunch at a beautiful little lake and took a short hike. Short because the park operator said there had been a number of bear sightings, and after walking a bit, both Tom and I ended up getting nervous. Silly, but gosh darn, I dont know what I would do if I stumbled on a bear and it got mad! Well besides try to out run Tom and his hip replacements! Regardless of our bear scare, we loved this pretty lake! Most parks here have beautiful camp sites right on the lake where possible, and nicely maintained!

    Our drive after lunch had us leaving British Columbia and crossing over to the Yukon Territory, so definitely making progress. Checked in with visitor center ( my default first stop) parked the RV for our stay here and then walked through the quirky but fun Sign Post Forest!
    Read more