Satellite
  • Day 17

    Watson Lake, YT

    July 2, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    Spent the morning with a little laundry and clean up. You just cant escape some chores! Besides we woke up to a light rain.
    Once chores and rain was done we did a little walking tour of Wye Lake park, with Auggie, and downtown Watson Lake, without Auggie. These "larger" towns arent quite what either of us imagined....generally the main highway runs right through, but then typically there is one or two frontage streets on either side of the highway so there is a very broad boulevard look to them. Generally very non descript buildings and very few trees in the "commercial" zone,...but most towns do seem to have lots of hanging flower baskets to create the charm? Just kind of not what we expected.
    The Yukon Territory has very few people, maybe 45,000 or so. Watson Lake is one of the bigger towns with a population of about 1,500! So, by lunch, our walking tour was over!
    Lunched at a local cafe, and got to observe some local drama that had to do with a man, his wife and his girlfriend all being in the same place at the same time. Not sure what went on, although another local was trying to whisper updates to me. After the RMCP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) arrived everyone went there separate ways and we went back to some serious lunch time focus.
    We finished our afternoon at the Northern Lights Center, where we got to see a big video presentation about solar flares and the Aurora borealis. It was projected on this big domed ceiling with seats that reclined back and I thought it was very interesting and had beautiful imagery. ( Tom accidentally fell asleep during the reclining chair part) I would still love to experience them in person! The whole discussion of waves of energy and earth's magnetic field went pretty much over my head, but still it seems incredible!
    Walked back to RV just in time for showers before the evening rainfall....burritos for dinner!
    It sort of felt nice not to drive, but we also missed the scenery we enjoy as we drive! Enjoying our time together, thank you Lord!

    Wow...just went to add my photos from the day, had almost nothing! The photo of our RV is because apparently we were the only ones to stay two nights!? By 10 a.m. everyone else had left!
    Read more