Satellite
  • Day 20

    Day #1 in Whitehorse

    July 5, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 77 °F

    What an interesting day, we have really enjoyed getting to experience Whitehorse! Enough that we decided we want to have another day here. Fires in Dawson City area have us changing our route, and we will stay on the Alaska hwy on this leg and try to hit Dawson City on the way home.
    We spent some time at the visitor center this morning, then headed by foot to the S.S. Klondike, a stern wheeler from the gold rush days. It traveled on the Yukon river from here to Dawson City. They have done a really nice job restoring it! PS, the Yukon river is one of the few rivers that flows north (!) to the Bering Sea AND has a lot of history!
    Then downtown for halibut at the Klondike Rib & Salmon! Cute old historic building with excellent halibut...and I'm sure the ribs and salmon must be good too! Walking distance to a great museum, the MacBride. Had alot of First Nation artifacts, Sam McGees cabin, Alaska hwy history, gold rush history, and alot of stuffed (not sure that is the right word?) animals, representative of the animals found in the Yukon. Seemed like a relatively new facility and was a great visit.
    Then back to the visitor center for a two hour "city" tour by van. Turns out we're were the only guests so we really had a wonderful time with our driver, Kim. Born and raised in the Yukon, and had so much personal insight to add to our discussion as we toured various parts of the city and landmarks. Getting the lay of the land and putting our eyes on a few stops made us want to stay an additional day!
    Kind of happy to see a pretty big wind storm blow through mid afternoon, so the skies are blue again. We're have been dealing with alot of hazy, smoky, (= gray) skies, and we are seeing some blue again. So hopeful we will get more of the same tomorrow. Sounds like there is also a fairly significant fire on the Kenai peninsula right now, again hoping it is well over when we're get there with Cindy!
    Update: Benadryl (overnight) helped my swollen eye!
    Read more