Satellite
  • Day 44

    Hello Homer!

    July 29, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 61 °F

    Campground is just up on the bluffs out of Homer, so today was our first real glimpse of the town. Woke up to a beautiful morning, could see across Kachemak bay in one direction, and in another direction really almost across Cook Inlet to see the mountains there!

    Got a campground shuttle down to the visitor center, and then walked up to the Pratt Museum, which is a small but very well done collection of history (including some Kilcher stories), natural science, and art. I love how museums are intermingling these collections. (Maybe I needed to go more often!)

    Enjoyed a Mexican lunch, the first Mexican food since we left California! Not bad, but not the same as Velascos! Still it was fun to have a taco, enchilada combo again. (... and if you didn't want Mexican you could order Italian!) To be totally honest, we often have taco salads for dinner. Just one of the many types of salads we make for dinner. Taco salad, chicken salad, salmon salad, Italian salad (that's a salad with salami and cooked pasta) or cabbage and apple salad.... you name it, we have turned it into a salad!

    Strolled some galleries and then grabbed the Homer trolley and headed out to the spit, which is a very long sliver of land/ sand out into the bday. Like 4 or 5 miles looking and, maybe 1 mile wide, except at the harbor area, I guess? Best to fire up your Google map app and take a look! The "spit" is a VERY popular place for vacationers, many RVs, many fishermen, many shoppers, and views of the bay every where! Got a little local history from the driver, saw another eagle nest, and viewed the harbor. More walking, talking, and shopping! It didn't matter what we did, it was just a gorgeous day to be outside!

    Trolley back to shuttle, shuttle back to campground, and barbecue chili dogs for dinner! (No salad!)
    Read more