Satellite
  • Day 68

    Maligne Canyon and Lake

    August 22, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    Nice, cool morning, looked around for elk....it was as if they were never here. Not hide nor hair. Gone. The loop felt so empty with out them....!

    Packed up our RV and drove into Jasper to leave unit for the day as Kristi and Steve picked us up for day out to Maligne Canyon. What a gorgeous spot. This is a river canyon carved by water that is very (!) narrow and varies in depth up to something like 60 meters from the top of the canyon wall. The park had created a meandering hike that includes bridges spanning the canyon in several locations. So you get these great views right over a roaring river. The noise is great, and in places you feel the spray. Very popular tour spot (with buses) complete with gorgeous "teahouse" (restaurant) and gift shop, so dealt with a pretty significant number of people on the trail, but still would not want to miss this stop!

    Back on road following Maligne river going by Medicine Lake for a quick look. Spotted a couple of loons and watched them dive and surface. Continued the drive to Maligne Lake. Another beautiful spot! A pretty big lake surrounded by these big rocky mountains. Perfect day to be there with clouds and blue sky! Had packed our lunches and sat out in the sun enjoying the view and lunch.

    This lake is an old historic tour destination from the early 1900s. It has maintained an old historic boat house with canoe and kayak rentals. It has the old Lake Chalet restaurant, (dinner only), and a new very contemporay lakeside restaurant for lunch and dinner with a gift shop. They also run boat tours that go to the far end of the lake for a different view of the mountains and Spirit Island. And of course many hiking options! K & S took off on the Moose loop, wihile Tom and I enjoyed lakeside strolling, picture taking and a little time in the gift shop!

    Back to Jasper with a quick stop at another "red chair" location along the Maligne river, and back into Jasper about 4 pm. Tom and I took our RV back to camp while K & S went into town with errands. Stopped for showers going in...still a great, hot shower with lots of water.

    Such a nice warm day that we barbecued hot dogs for dinner! Kept our eyes open for an elk return, but were disappointed. However we had an excellent day! So thankful for this trip, and have loved Jasper!
    Read more