Satellite
  • Day 69

    Follow'g the Falls, the Icefield Parkway

    August 23, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 43 °F

    What a great day! Lots of gorgeous views! One of my favorite days...and Cindy, we will try to visit this area again with you!

    K & S took us back to the Edith Cavell trail they had done already because there is a fabulous view (not to far up the trail) of the Angel glacier and glacial lake below it. The trail was maybe half a mile or so, after a 8-9 mile drive up the hill to the trailhead. The drive is as arduous as the hike. Lots of switchbacks, and they don't reccomend vehicles over 25 ft because the switchbacks are pretty tight.

    Walked the trail in some intermittent light rain; and mosquitos when it wasn't raining. It was mostly uphill, but not long and you end up standing above a glacial lake with floating ice. Spent some time talking to an English family who had walked down to the lake and they shared some ice they had picked up out of the lake. Tasted just like ice! Tom and I were so glad that Kristi felt we should visit this spot!

    Headed south on the Icefield Parkway to Athabasca Falls. This is not just a typical waterfall, this is a huge gorge cut out of rock that steps the river down. Big stone walls, huge amount of water, lots of noise, and the park has created multiple short walks and view points to enjoy this waterfall. Below this waterfall canyon, the Athabasca River flattens out and you see rafters putting in at this point.

    Next stop Sumwapta Falls. Another water carved gorge with roaring, rushing water. But an entirely different look and different experience. You never tire looking at these falls because they are not the "end off the summer" trickles!

    Headed south again passing Tangle Falls which is right beside the road so we had seen it once before; but you can never have too many pictures of a waterfall, so one more quick stop with the camera.

    Finally arrived at Columbia Icefield Center about 4 p.m. The center is positioned across the highway from several glaciers that are part of the Columbia Icefield. Ran in to get some time in with the gallery but they closed at 4:30 so had to put that visit off until the next day. The center is a hub for a number a glacier "adventures" so they allow you to stay over night in their parking lot for a small fee. So even though you are parked in a parking lot with no services you have a number of snow capped mountains and the Athabasca Glacier out your RV window! Stunning and cold, with a lot of moving cloud cover and more intermittent rain. No mosquitos here!
    Read more