Satellite
  • Day 75

    Good bye to the Hibbs

    August 29, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Slow start to the morning as we had to redistribute our "stuff" to the appropriate vehicles so that we could part company. Boo. It was hard to say good bye because we had all shared some great sights, adventures, laughter, and chats. We are all blessed to have been given this time together!

    After hugs, we drove into Revelstoke, which is a cute little railroad town. We spent sometime at the Visitor Center discussing alternative routes home through BC. The gal we spoke to gave us some great input and so we have a plan in place for the next couple of nights. Also did a little catch up with Quicken....

    Walked the town a bit, found a local artist gallery, and then had a nice lunch at the Village Idiot (restaurant name!) which had an outdoor patio. Perfect day to sit outside! I just can't believe how great the weather has been....beautiful clear blue skies!

    We were going to stay at Williamson Lake where we had camped last night, but decided to move to a provincial park out of town, so headed south for the park. Blanket Creek Park is located on Upper Arrow Lake, which is actually a reservoir lake on the Columbia River. The headwaters of the Columbia river are located east of us....if you look at the course of the river, from the headwaters, it travels north a significant amount, does a "u-turn" around Canadas Glacier Natl Park, and then heads south into Washington through the Grand Coulee Dam, down to the Oregon border and out to the Pacific. It was surprising to us to know this is the Columbia!

    With all parks, they typically have a "first come, first served" number of sites so we were able to get a beautiful site on the resorvoir, which really is a very long, narrow lake, or a wide river, depending how you look at it. And this park had some recently installed shower facilities! Pretty good, but they are the sort of shower that requires you to hold a button for water. Can be challenging to wash your hair and shower using just one hand....and no temperature adjustment. Fortunately mine seemed to access most of the hot water, Tom seemed to have "less" and had a fairly cold shower. He does NOT like cold showers!

    Did some more route planning and enjoyed a glass of wine outside, until the mosquitoes drove me into the RV. I just seem to be a magnet for these guys, and I even had some repellent on. They don't bother Tom as much, so he stayed outside and BBQ'd hamburgers! Delicious!
    Read more