Satellite
  • Day 149

    Moving on to Wyoming

    October 17, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 61 °F

    Last day in South Dakota, but one more stop in Custer State Park before we left for good. We wanted to do a little more of the northern section of the park, which does not have as many animals. This section has more of the badlands look with the needle like looking rock out croppings, plus there is a beautiful lake up in this section, Sylvan Lake. Great drive in, had to drop the jeep and drive in with it because the tunnels sizes were too small for the RV.
    Drove in the Needles Hwy to the lake. They have an older lodge, not the original one that was located right on the lake, but really nice. Couldn't to much walking because of the residual snow still on the ground. Headed out of the park and grabbed some lunch at Calamity Jane, a cute café in Custer,SD.

    Said good by to the Black Hills and drove south into Wyoming. Left behind rolling, wooded areas and drove through straight out plains. Lots of ranches with cattle, or grain fields. Speed a couple of small herds of antelope again today.

    About 4 decided to just find a place to stay for the night. Hard to do in the middle of nowhere, we were still north of Cheyenne. And we really want to find sites with power since the evenings are pretty cold. Nice to have our portable (quiet) old heater and not the RV heater which is louder and tends to cycle on and off all night.

    So we ended up in Torrington, WY. at the City Slickers RV park, which is basically a gravel lot of of an alley. The did have a restroom with showers that was clean, and we just had to leave $20 cash in a lock box. Torrington must be a cattle distribution hub, because the air had that barnyard smell, not offensive, but pretty evident.
    Did take a walk with Auggie and found access to the North Platt River down the street. We had to stop a couple of times to pull thorns out of his paws from the weeds!
    Read more