Satellite
  • Day 152

    Arches Natl Park

    October 20, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 46 °F

    What a great park! We loved our day, the weather was perfect, mid 60s, bright blue sky, perfect backdrop to the canyon colors!

    Got into the park at 8 am, a pretty early start for us. We decided to drive all the way through to the end of the road and work our way forward. It's about 30 miles into the park and the road ends at Devils Garden. Got a parking spot and hiked back to see Landscape arch, one of the world's longest arch spans. See a couple of other Arches on the hike out. About a 2 mile plus hike. Pretty good number of people visiting, we were never alone in our walk. I really liked this arch the best because of the long, long arch, awesome.

    Just kept working our way out of the park stopping at almost every arch turn out. Skyline arch, Sand Dune arch, Delicate arch, Panorama point, Balanced rock, Garden of Eden, Double arch, North and South Window arch, Parade of Elephants, Turret arch, Courthouse towers, and Park Avenue. Everyone is entirely different and all require a short hike or more. I have a thousand arch pictures, just like all my glacier shots, you can never take too many. Anywhere from up close to far away. Sunlight was great so we had lots of color in the stone and plateau, and we had a wonderful view of the snow covered LaSal mountains in the distance.

    Can't imagine what this park is like in the summer....a couple of times we had to be patient in finding a parking place. And this is practically the end of October. But more importantly how great the temperature is for hiking and viewing the park right now. Trying to imagine 85 or 90 degree day with that full intense sun. Wow!

    End of the day we finished at the visitor center and were disappointed to find the exhibits area closed, and only the gift shop remained open. Not sure if it was due to Covid, or staff shortages. But interesting to see that the gift shops are almost never closed!

    Back to the RV with a breif stop at the state owned liquor store! Our typical jug bottle of Woodbridge is $16 out here. Ouch! Still tastes good...
    Read more