Satellite
  • Day 156

    Change in direction!

    October 24, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Up bright and early, but Cold Springs Cafe did not seem to be open for breakfast yet, but found one up the road at Middlegate station. This station has the distinction of being housed in the original building. Which as actually kind of cool looking in a VERY rustic way. Plus this was the turn off for to a big change in direction.

    We have been trying to track what sort of implications the "bomb cyclone" forecasted for northern California (and the Pacific northwest) would have on our travels. We were due to cross the Sierras via Donner Pass on Hwy 80 and just felt very reluctant to do so with heavy rain and or snow anticipated. Plus then we were to continue on across Northern California to Mendocino, again in primarily very rainy conditions. SO we opted out for the southern solution, had south and over Tehachapi.

    Kind of disappointed, or trip is coming to end sooner then expected. From Tehachapi we will just head up that scenic Hwy 99 drive from Bakersfield to Fresno.

    Oh well, back in the the long drive south in Navada, down to Bishop on 395. Wow, talk about desolate. It makes Hwy 50 ( the loneliest road) seem like a tourist stop drive. There is nothing out here, besides brown hills and plains. Some cattle, and of course an occasional deserted and crumbling shack or two. But still the road conditions were very good. And we certainly did not have much traffic to deal with!

    It was interesting to drive Hwy 6 out of Nevada along the White Nountains which we always view from 395. Finally 6 and 395 merge at Bishop. Clouds too low to see either mammoth (or Mt Whitney) down in Lone pine), but the valley drive along the white mountains was nice.

    Bishop seemed really busy, so didn't stop there. Filled up in Independence at the casino and only paid $4.40 as opposed to $4.90s everywhere else. $200 is about what it takes to fill the tank, OUCH! So maybe heading home instead of Mendocino, then Fresno, isn't such a bad idea financially!

    Pulled into Lone Pine for an overnight, Boulder Creek RV Resort. Nice park that had full hook ups, and I really wanted a nice park for a good shower! Got in a little early, we have been fighting windy conditions and just thought we were done for the day. Hoping it will let up tomorrow, but does not look promising. But at least it is not buckets of rain or snow!
    Read more