Satellite
  • Day 49

    Phare, The Cambodian Circus

    February 28, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    After Angkor Wat and a nice refreshing nap Jessica, Kayla and I went to grab some food. We ended up at pretty neat cafe that had great iced coffee and eggs bennies! Yummy. Didn't think I'd find that while here. Afterwards Jessica and I wandered the market for a bit just browsing. Or so we thought until we started buying things.. I ended up with two tank tops and a dress. But I really needed some variety in my wardrobe and a dress because I miss those.

    After deciding we'd bought enough we went back to the hotel and got ready to go to the circus! That was amazing. Totally worth the $20 for the ticket and tuk Tuk ride over. The name of the show we watched was Sokha and it was all about the the history of Cambodia. The story started with an "old" woman who went back in time to relive her past. Starting from happy childhood days going into the Genocide then being reunited with her family then the war and then finally back to modern times. It was pretty cool! The group preforming is again a group of underprivileged youth that were given an opportunity to improve their lives and go to school. The school focusses on arts and most students become artists or performers when they graduate. Pretty neat how many social initiatives there are here. I appreciate that FNEZ brings us to places like this and they support sustainable travel. Wonder if they'll ever expand into Nepal ;) The show was filled with pretty impressive acrobatics and took place in a round tent with wooden benches. Our seats were pretty decent! I really enjoyed it, more than the cirque shows I've seen.

    After the show was finished the group went to a nearby bar called the Mad Monkey. The floor was covered in sand! It's in a hostel that's known for it's partying so I'm glad that we're not actually staying there. It's nice to have a quiet place to go home to. Also at this bar they had a beer pong table and people were playing flip cup. Our group started a game of truth or dare which was pretty fun! Watching folk to sand angels, lick strangers, and take random hats off people's heads was a hoot. When this bar closed we went to a different bar, Yolo, which was close to Pub Street. It was cool, some people painted their faces in glow paint and the toilet was a shack across the street. Then we migrated to Pub Street proper and went back to the Angkor What Bar and we're drinking in the street again. At some point I found Toni and she showed me a great street cart where we got some fried noodles with an egg. So amazing. And I showed someone how to use chopsticks lol.. They'll need to learn pretty quick if they want to continue travelling in Asia haha. I don't even know what time Jessica and I eventually made it home but I don't think it was too late!
    Read more