Satellite
  • Day 4

    Bobby and Harry

    August 19, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    Our walking tour with Rita ended at the National Museum of Scotland, where we meandered among the treasure trove of ancient and modern artifacts. We then joined up with fellow tour members Patrick and his daughter Margaret for lunch at the Elephant House. Potterites will recognize this as the cafe where JK Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter book. Nearby is Greyfriars Kirk and cemetery, famous for the faithful terrier, Bobby. Many of the names in the Potter books came from the gravestones here. Margaret and Myj hunted diligently, but couldn't find Thomas Riddle. We did find Potter, however. Margaret, with her teenaged energy was ready to lead on, downhill, uphill and down again to find the Museum of Childhood (and a nearby fudge shop).

    Our day ended with happy hour in Teuchters pub, meeting up with a number of tour members for a dram. As we thought initially, they are all quite fun! We tried Cullin Skink (a fish chowder), which joins steak and ale pie and gooseberry crumble on the "yes, please" list. The drinks, food and company were welcome after recording over 8 miles on the Fitbit on a very "dreich" (grey and wet) day.
    Read more