Satellite
  • Day 6

    A check on Dennis's bucket list.

    August 21, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 54 °F

    Our day began with a visit to the Crannog Centre, where we were able to go inside a reconstruction of an ancient home built on Loch Tay. The reconstruction is based
    on underwater archeological finds retrieved from the lake that demonstrate the skill and engineering knowledge required to build these large, dry and cozy structures more than 2500 years ago.

    The next stop was for a walk to a waterfall through the beautiful forest at the Hermitage. The forest and vegetation here is very much like western Oregon. We had lunch and free time for strolling and shopping in Dunkeld, before a drive to Aberfeldy for a tour and tasting of Dewar's malted whisky (we in the USA call it Scotch, but here it is just whisky - spelled without an "e").

    Back to home base in Kenmore for dinner (sea bass for Myj, venison for Dennis) and a presentation by Gillie McNab all about bagpipes, including her own history as one of the first women in an official pipe band. She was quite colorful and entertaining. We were offered the chance to play the pipes ourselves. Those who tried found it not only takes good breath, but coordination to blow and squeeze in the right rhythm, and that was with Gillie fingering the tune. Dennis was the most successful, producing enough sound for a whole tune, while marching and even saluting. Of course, we always knew he was full of hot air!
    Read more