Satellite
  • Day 15

    Cows on the road, cows on the beach!

    August 30, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 54 °F

    Up bright and early for our drive to Elgol. Having read reviews, guide books and listened to advice from our hosts, we were somewhat prepared for the 15 miles of single-track road to the very tiny harbour of Elgol. However, the consensus was that the views of the Cullian mountain range, and the boat trip with the MacKinnons was worth it. The reality was hold-your-breath-there's-someone-coming! There really weren't that many cars, but there were a lot of cows and sheep next to or on the road, blind corners, narrow bridges and cattle guards, and a few locals and/or ignorant tourists who didn't know or didn't care.

    But that done, we arrived and boarded the boat to take us to Loch Coruisk. Finn was our first mate, and could not have been more enthusiastic. He entertained us with stories of his ancestor rescuing and hiding Bonnie Prince Charlie in a cave on the inlet. We hiked a bit along the loch, enjoying yet another beautiful day, then readied ourselves for the return drive.

    At lunchtime, we stopped for an excellent lunch at Creelers in Broadford. We noticed a baby being walked in a beautiful old-fashioned pram, and we were delighted when the baby spontaneously began to wave at us. Later, in a jewelry shop, we discovered that the baby was the owner's 16 month old daughter, being walked by Granny (young looking granny!).
    Read more