Satellite
  • Day 13

    A Thousand Waterfalls

    June 10, 2019 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    We woke to the birds singing in the forest surrounding our hotel in Plitvice Lakes National Park. An electric bus took us to our designated entrance to the trails. In order to protect the ecosystem and manage the number of people in each area of the park, tickets have a designated time, entrance station and direction of travel in the park. Most of our walk was gradually downhill through the forest encountering waterfall after waterfall, meandering through a series of lakes at the bottom of the canyon. Rustic boardwalks and steps crossed over delicate wetlands and streams in places, sometimes with the water rushing beneath our feet. There were waterfalls of all sizes and lakes of the clearest emerald green. It was like walking through a fairytale forest.
    When we reached the largest lake Jezero Kozjak, we boarded an electrically-powered boat for a peaceful ride to the other side. Of course, what goes down must go up, so the next section of our hike was uphill. However, this section revealed even more spectacular waterfalls, with the grand finale: Veliki Slap (Big Waterfall - a descriptive, if not very romantic name). Even the last and steepest section of the trail, with multiple switchbacks came with a reward. At the top, we could look down on the beautiful vista.
    Leaving this water wonderland behind, we headed over the Dinaric Alps toward the Dalmatian coast. Again, there was a dramatic change in the landscape, leaving the lush green for the dry desert-like area on the seaward side of the mountains.
    Read more