Satellite
  • Day 61

    Never Driving to Belize again.

    April 6, 2022 in Belize ⋅ 🌙 81 °F

    Today I woke up before the Crack of dawn, probably because I went to sleep so very early, trying to recover from my Energy Vampire. I messed with photos on the phone a bit more and then ventured out of the hostel to find a nice place to watch the sunrise. I found it less than 1/4 mile up the street, there was an open fence that looked like some kind of a resort/restaurant situation. There was a gorgeous deck at the end of the dock that was old and looked like it may fall in at any given moment. It was perfect. I walked out and took a time-lapse of the sunrise on the gopro and photos on my phone. I was alone and it was peaceful. I was still recharging my emotional energy. I called my dad and we chatted for a while, I love his voice. I have an irrational fear of my parents dying. I just want to savor all the time we get to share in this life because I know I will miss them terribly when they're gone. 💔

    I decided to remove all contraband from my car and give Belize another try. I also wanted to check out the free zone for shopping to see if there were any bracelets there! The drive seemed shorter this time, but there were still infinite checkpoints. I didn't find much in the free zone, just some funky socks for Gayland, and a notebook for me for travel notes and purchasing notes so I can keep better track of what I'm spending. It reminded me a bit of canal street in that the streets are lined with stores selling knock off designer shit and everything looks like it just got unpacked out of a shipping container from China. It was an experience.

    In order to drive into Belize, you have to give up your Mexican Visa, Pay an entry fee, Have your vehicle sterilized which costs a fee, either get a covid test for $50us or have a vaccine card-I used my fake one and it worked.🤫 You also have to get a passport stamp for your vehicle which costs a fee, if you will be in Belize longer than 24 hours you must purchase Belizean insurance.

    Whew, I did flips through all these hoops for them and entered Belize in my Mexican rental car without permission from the insurance company.. with a fake vaccine. Rebel status for sure. I won't be doing those things ever again. Too stressful. Belize at the border is literally nothing to write home about. It's like farm land and anywhere on Google Maps that says there is a business is nowhere to be found. I was trying to at least eat some lunch somewhere, but I saw not a single place of business that I felt like I would survive eating inside of. So I took photos of some cool signs and got the hell back to the Mexico border...

    In order to leave Belize and enter Mexico, you must pay an exit fee, get your vehicle stamp cancelled out of your passport, and then pay another visa fee at the Mexico border. Oh and fun fact I did not know until I did all of this: You only get 7 days free in Mexico when you come by land, if you stay longer you have to pay a bunch more tax, so I just switched my flight to 2 days sooner. My work here is done anyways. The shoots are done and I have tons of bracelets, or pulseras as they say.

    What a headache!

    When I returned to the hostel they were in the middle of getting set up for the neon party Yak was hosting. I had no interest or energy in participating. It was mostly like 20 year-olds at the hostel and I was tired from getting fucked like a house cat let loose in the streets of Tijuana. It tool hours to leave and re enter Mexico for no more than an hour spent in Belize. I may have even still been recharging.

    I took myself back to La Playita for dinner and had a lovely salad with avocado, strawberries, and goat cheese balls rolled in sesame seeds. Of course I had a couple of their gorgeous Cocktails as well.

    I'm about to work on the photos until I crash out again! Adios!
    Read more