Satellite
  • Day 89

    Pitstop in Palenque

    December 23, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We want to spend Christmas in San Cristobal, but in order to get there we first have to travel from Escaresega to Palenque. On December 22 we took a fancy ADO bus to Escaresega. Then on December 23 we took two small colectivo rides through beautiful winding mountains to San Cristobal in Chiapas state.

    We would have loved to spend more time in Palenque, but we decided that San Cristobal would be the best place for us during the holidays.

    I didn't get to see much of Palenque, but Auryn went on a short walk to the grocery store and said that the city seemed very authentic. After some research we found out that Palenque is the poorest major city in Chiapas state. Just under 40% of the population live in houses with dirt floors, and around 20% is illiterate. Approximately 40% of the population belongs to an indigenous group called Ch'ol and speak the cultures native Mayan-rooted language. The Spanish speaking residents have a unique dialect, and 20% of the population does not speak Spanish at all.

    I wasn't able to get many photos during this part of our travels. It was a very busy and exhausting time. 😅

    I did, however, manage to get a couple of videos while on the road. 😊
    Read more