Satellite
  • Day 23

    "Don't leave the mam up a mountain"

    September 2, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    The first of September is a memorable day for us. The start of our adventure - well, the South American one at least. We finally flew out of London at 11.45pm yesterday, headed for Buenos Aires on the only delayed flight out of Heathrow. We still arrived on time though - strong tail winds. Even the babies in our section were 'flying high' in their wall-mounted cots. Exactly 8 years ago this day, a Tuesday, I began working at MHS. Chris was still encarcerated in the LRI following major surgery (although I broke him out a day later) and we were at the school barbecue together on the Friday. There were hotdogs, and he had brought beer and a bottle opener, despite the fact that he was 'nil by mouth' and couldn't partake of any of it. He didn't like to think that I would be missing out on anything! We talked to Mary who I had known all of three days, about supporting a student in a cookery lesson where the ingredients were 'all via mouth' on the way to the bowl, and occasionally up the nose as well. We are hoping that this journey will not be short on such contrasts, and we are definitely not going to be holding back on savouring the experience in full on this trip, preferably with all of our senses.

    This morning we have checked out our new neighbourhood of Recoleta, an up-market area of Buenos Aires, full of cafes and small restaurants, homeware stores, beardy hipster barbers, and best of all, panaderias full of cakes and patisserie, all of which seem to contain custard. This afternoon we visited a local cemetery - oh yes, he knows how to show a girl a good time. It is a pretty spectacular cemetery though, the second most popular tourist attraction in Buenos Aires apparently, like a small city - reminiscent of Pompeii I thought, with similar width 'streets' between the tombs. Of course, the most famous resident is Eva Duarte Peron, but she rests in quite an unassuming family tomb, off the main tree-lined 'plaza'. Nextdoor is the Church of Nuestra Senora del Pilar, described in the guidebook as a 'jewel of colonial architecture'. It was a cool resting place before we explored the craft fair opposite. It has been very warm this afternoon, unseasonably so for early Spring. Tonight we are staying local to eat - the Parilla Laureana comes recommended. Central Buenos Aires and San Telmo tomorrow.

    No mountains so far, but Olivia knows my record on getting lost and the heights we've climbed.
    Read more