Satellite
  • Day 21

    See you real soon!

    July 17, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We're almost the last ones to breakfast, this cruising body clock is going to be a challenge next week. Teary farewells can't be soothed, not even by Mickey. We have our last breakfast in at Rapunzel's royal table and we say our goodbyes then head for the airport.

    Turns out easyJet have their own terminal, that means all the cheapskates like us are in one place, and no one wants to operate a store here. We're way too early for our check-in. It's two hours before we can check out luggage and get through security. How to cope with a 4hr wait? Plan the next cruise right down to the packing list.

    It's boarding time, the excitement for Paris is starting to wash off some of the post-crusie remorse. We're on the tarmac when the pilot comes over the speaker to let us know there is a problem with the tailwing control system. Engineers arrive, the cabin is hopeful, but in the end defeated we return to the terminal.

    Upates every half an hour tell us nothing, then we hear a new plane is coming - we'll be boarding at 5:30, we take off at 6:15, and arrive at our hotel in Paris at 10pm, 6 hours late, but we arrive alive.

    I lift my bag off the belt in CDG only to have Fid hold up a pair of my shorts and ask if they were mine. F@$king Samsonite, no more. The last one had it's rigid body shatter, this one now has a split zip, never again.

    We get an Uber, yes finally a country that allows them! Gab has picked her best Paris hotel yet, right at the Tulleries end of Rue Cambon, so close to so many places we love to hang out.

    The restaurant across the road, Flottes, hosts us for a late dinner, they even stick us with some other Aussies. I'll pay the price for my Steak Tartar tomorrow but tonight it's fantastic. The carnival is in full swing in the gardens, it's nearing 11 and no one slept very much last night but we can't resist a quick visit to the carnival, cheapest beer anywhere near here at this time of night.

    Shattered we head to bed - a garbage day resurrected by a wonderful city.
    Read more