Satellite
  • Day 11

    Train to Thessaloniki

    April 14, 2017 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We woke up at 9 because we thought we had to check out by 10.
    The bread was awful once again. I've mention it everyday because it honestly is so bad. I said hi/bye to the dog. He doesn't really like me but I've decided that's cause he only understands Greek words. Yep.
    Irene came in to the kitchen and helped us figure out where we needed to get the train from later today. She tried turning off her mums god awful Greek church music. The kind of music/sounds that make you think of monks worshipping. Ooahhhhhooo In very deep voices.
    The mum walked back in and turned it straight back on -.- it hasn't been turned off the whole 4 days. I believe in God and yet even I feel quite uncomfortable about how religious this house is. Paintings and statues everywhere.
    Have I mentioned they don't have a tv? Just a bunch of old lady furniture. I kept thinking of Joeys quote off friends "you don't have a tv?? but what does all your furniture point at??" Hahah
    We figured out we needed to get to Larissa station which was an easy enough task. We chatted for a bit and talked about the different countries she had been too and her studies to become a doctor. She was horrified to learn about the bugs in Australia.
    Because they didn't have any more guests scheduled for the day we were allowed to stay as long as we wanted so we didn't have to carry our luggage everywhere with us.
    We spent the time listening to music, transferring photos from my phone to laptop, replying to messages, contacting our Bulgaria Workaway and booking a hostel in Macedonia for 4 nights.
    Time to go - eh our backpacks are heavy but manageable. Will finds it harder than I do which is weird cause our bags are only 1kg different in weight. We got to the station and had to buy a ticket, the man was a complete and total wanker. The ticket was 1.40€.
    I gave him 50€ he said it was too much money and tried to give me 30cents as change.........
    I was like UHM NO. Will then realized what was happening and said he had 5€ I could use instead.
    So I gave the man the 5€ expecting to get the 50€ back.
    Haha nope.
    I had to have a yelling match where he kept doing aggressive Greek hand gestures which were clear as day telling me to " fuck off stupid woman" he asked "what do you want" where we both had to tell him 10 times WE WANT THE 50.
    Total toss pot.
    He angrily threw it back.
    For the 5€ we paid we got 30 cents change.
    Absolute horrid human.
    And theft.
    We found the right side of the station and caught 2 trains to Larissa.
    Our train is at 4 so it was a 2 hour wait.
    When the train came we took a real gamble. We had no idea if it was the right train - only Greek came over the loudspeaker and there were no signs. We found our seats and sat. I am so nosey. There was a ka-fuffle up front and I sooooo wish I could speak Greek. There was yelling and crying and phone calls! It got even more exciting when the ticket check guy came. More yelling.
    We think they over booked the train. One man had the same seat number as Will another man kicked a lady out of her seat then she kicked someone else out of there's. We had no clue what was going on but we're relieved when the ticket man had no problem with our tickets.

    THERE WAS A CAT BEHIND US :D he meowed the whole way hahahah he didn't like being in a box. I don't think he was allowed because when the ticket guy came they covered him with jackets and bags and told him to shush hahahahaha he got through! It was so nerve racking seeing if he would stay quite or not - he did! Woohoo! Yay kitty!
    The scenery was nice. I'm disappointed I had a sleep and apparently missed going through the mountains.
    I went to the loo and when you press flush it opens up onto the track. I'm disappointed I didn't have a poo hahahah.
    Really gross though.
    The country is much nicer than the city. The olive trees stand out in the fields.
    I have a headache now :( we should arrive soon - it's been 4.5 hours.
    I had a boogie to some music on my iPod and I think I embarrassed Will :) hehe.
    Arrived at Thessaloniki 20 mins later than scheduled - only 5 people left on our carriage now. We made it out to the street and not a single taxi was around. It was so dark and abandoned. Will was more stressed than I was.
    We decided to go for a walk towards some bells that where ringing because that probably meant people. It was the end of a church service and thankfully a random taxi drove by that we flagged down. Our Bnb was only 5 mins away in the heart of the city. Our host is like a Buddha. So cute and randomly has blue eyes.
    He showed us around then him and his son left. We have the whole apartment to ourselves wooo!
    Will was starving so we got food nearby. We couldn't open the door when we got back. We have struggled with every door so far -.-
    5 minutes later we got in. Now BED TIME, YAY!
    Read more