Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Thessaloniki

    April 16, 2017 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We both had a TERRIBLE night sleep. Mosquitos kept biting us and we think fireworks might not be illegal here because every bloke and his dog was setting them off all through the night. -.-
    We had a small sleep in then spoke to Bill/Helen, Jess/Jaxon & Mum/Dad on Skype. We didn't really have much to say because everyone is pretty up to date because of my journal :) we were happy to hear about their trip to the Easter show though and to see Pippin inside <3 Boots doesn't like it and keeps staring at him hahaha.
    I said hi to Gerty, Aggie and Thad too :D
    After we said bye we had a lot of organizing to do. Turns out the bus does not run to Macedonia tomorrow (Monday) so we have booked a bus for Wednesday morning, contacted the hostel in Macedonia to let them know we need to change/cancel our reservation which they said was fine and won't charge us - woo! Then we checked to see if the place we are currently in was available for another 2 nights... IT WAS! So much less stress!
    So after we got everything sorted it was about 1:30pm and we were starving!
    But as it was Easter Sunday everything was closed wahhhh.
    It was an abandoned city. We found one place and sat down but turns out the kitchen was closed so after Will had a coffee we moved on. We eventually found a little cafe that didn't have great variety but at this point we didn't care. The smoothie I had was fab! It was pineapple, pomegranate and banana. We then walked over to where the tour bus company was to see if they were running and our luck continued - they were. We had a 30 min wait before our tour started. It was 10€ each, lasted 70 mins, and had audio guides in 8 different languages. Will thought it was good but I thought it was pretty crap to be honest. The audio didn't always match up with the drivers location..
    I much prefer actual person guides.
    There was this stupid elevator music that played in between sites too that got annoying.
    It took us to 8 sites - white tower, archaeological museum ( where Alexander the Greats fathers tomb is), church of Agustin Sofia, church of Agios Dimitries, Kastra, Galerius Arch, Aristotleous square and the port.
    Tour was rubbish but has helped us decide what we are going to do tomorrow - see a monastery and the castle we saw along the way.
    Afterwards we went for a long walk along the pier and came across and Alexander the Great statue. the city of Thessaloniki is named after his step sister.
    I went to use a public toilet and OH MY GOD IT WAS NOT OK.
    Piss was EVERYWHERE, as in it's been raining for 10 days straight sized PUDDLES.
    I was like ok, I'll try the disabled toilet maybe people use that less.
    I nearly died.
    There was poo on the wall, floor and seat.
    There was a cleaning ladies bucket in there too. I think it's possible that she saw the situation and quit her job on the spot without returning the bucket.

    We kept walking up the pier.
    Will was right, it's poo in the water. We saw many very obvious logs today.
    More walking more walking..
    We had dinner at the first place we found because we didn't want to push our luck and assume other places would be open.
    I tried lentil soup cause they didn't have tomato but I hated the texture. Will had a burger.
    We saw someone feeding a stray dog. Warms my heart every time.

    I plucked one eyebrow this morning and then Will rushed me out the door so I've looked stupid all day. It's really quite obvious and makes my face even more lopsided than usual haha

    We decided we would have another movie night and bought some snacks on the way home.
    Movie choice: South Paw.
    It required to much concentration so I've come to bed before it's finished. Will is still watching.
    The sweet chili Doritos were delicious!
    Read more