Satellite
  • Day 20

    Skopje

    April 23, 2017 in North Macedonia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Woke up to the sounds of Will making noises to Jaxon on Skype.
    I was so beyond happy because when I finally got a change to get my face into frame Jaxon leant in as if to try and eat my nose - I'm interpreting this as recognition <3 he didn't try to do it to Will. Our little thing hahahah
    I miss him and my cat. The 2 things that don't miss me at all.
    After we spoke to Jess I spoke to mum and dad for an hour which was great - told them all about Macedonia and how much we like it. No real news on there end except for dad continuing to train for Kokoda track - I'm honestly very proud of him.
    We said bye then headed into town - as much as I don't mind walking, I am getting over the 2.2km walk to town. It's not convenient - we walked a couple of hundred meters before Will decided to run back and use the toilet at home and so I took the opportunity to buy 2 bags of cat food and some chews for dogs. I also got blue Fanta which has a picture of a lemon and flower on the front and tastes how toilet cleaner smells.
    It was drinkable though.
    We ate lunch at a traditional Macedonian place and it was eh. I had the traditional salad again which was great but the chicken I had for my main was bleh. Will had a sort of patty and didn't like his either.
    We walked across the bridge to the Jewish holocaust memorial. It was free entry - as you walk in you are hit with hundreds of victims faces.
    Of the 7000 people from Skopje who were carted away in ww2, none returned. There are no Jews in the city anymore.
    There was a carriage/friet train on display that was used to transport the people, artworks and poems.
    A section of the memorial was filled with artworks by a boy/man who's story is - his mother gave birth to him outside of Skopje for the reasons of cleaner air - it was during that time everyone was taken - the family returned and everyone screamed at them to run and hide. They are the only known Jews to have escaped. The artworks are his memories as a boy hiding and although not at a concentration camp, the trauma and fear.

    Upstairs was history of Jewish persecution throughout history and then the 3rd floor was more pictures of victims and information about the holocausts effect on Skopje. It was very humbling and I was close to tears on several occasions when imagining their fear.
    We didn't speak a word to each other the entire time.
    After wards we went to old town to try and buy more of the delicious Turkish sweets/Pastry from the tour but her shop was shut :(
    It started to sprinkle so we quickly walked home. We bought some groceries on the way and had a nap hahah it must be the weather. There is no valid reason for us to both be so buggered.
    Once we woke up we had cereal for dinner and I sorted out my cat food so it will be easier to access if I come across a stray.
    I really need to wash my hair but the shower still hasn't been fixed and I just think water will go everywhere if I try.
    We where going to put Wills clothes in to the dry cleaners today but they were closed.
    We also had a look at trains to lake Ohrid but it was too complicated so we are going to ask reception to help us organize it tomorrow.
    Will must have really enjoyed the holocaust museum because he has been looking up concentration camps all evening. We watched a 45 minute Auschwitz documentary which was really interesting. I'm looking forward to visiting.
    Read more