Satellite
  • Day 21

    Skopje

    April 24, 2017 in North Macedonia ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Instead of Jaxon, today I woke up to Will speaking to Helen.
    Afterwards we collected the tissue covered clothing and walked to the local laundromat- neither worker spoke English but after a game of charades I think they understood what we wanted - I guess we will find out tomorrow when we pick them up.
    We then went to reception and asked for help on how to get to get to Ohrid lake on Wednesday - they said that you couldn't buy them online and that we had to go to the bus station to buy tickets. We walked to the main square and decided to have lunch at a new place. It looked a little fancy but it's food was mediocre at best.
    I finally tried the infamous 'Alexandria' Macedonian red wine. I found it to be very dry but was pleased that it came in a mini bottle so I didn't have to finish it - I've stored the remaining half in my bag.
    On our walk I came across the first stray cat :) it was hesitant at first but eventually realized I was trying to feed it and came over :D yay!
    The bus stop was a fair walk away but doable.
    The lady we bought our tickets off wasn't the strongest English speaker so we are going to check with reception when we get home that our tickets are going to the right place.
    On the way back we popped into a big shopping center - Will bought an SD card for his phone so he has more storage for photos and we finally got phone numbers! We don't really know how the system works... I know that once we leave Macedonia it will count as international calls/texts but I'm relieved because the lady in Bulgaria will need to be able to contact us when she has to pick us up from the station to go pick roses. Also a lot of the reservations for things have required a phone number so I'm happy to have a European one.
    We don't really know if we will be able to top up our credit if we go over but at least I can be called. We are with a company called vip. I know that they are also in Austria and Croatia. So that's something.
    We then went to the old town to see if the the Turkish sweet ladies store was open - it was !! :D and it was only 50 denar! A stupid gypsy lady was asking for money and I said no like 10 times but she is smart cause she knew I had to get my wallet out to pay so she stayed put. I gave her 10 denar to make her piss off.
    I bought a Macedonia magnet too :) it was only 1€ ^.^
    We went back to the Turkish place to have tea and to pass time more hookah hahaha this time grape which is my favorite flavor but I was sad because they meant grape like black currant, not grape grape. I don't like black currant :( but I persevered :D haha.
    We were going to go get Will a beer but the place looked too cold so we ended back at the tomato soup place woohoo! But before we did I found 2 more cats to feed. There was a black mangy one who I fed first but I don't think he knew it was food. It wasn't until the other one started eating did he figure it out.
    Will said "come on Harry they are coming from everywhere" which was a tad dramatic, only one more cat appeared - I fed it too :D so pleased with myself ^.^
    I had a cocktail with my soup.
    We walked home and I fed 4 more cats :) :)
    We have now booked accommodation for the lake. We will be 8km away from the city but will have a view of the lake and can canoe to town hahah.
    I think I might have diabetes from the treats (don't know there actual name) but I feel funny.
    I have a sugar headache.
    Macedonia had a ridiculous amount of pollen in the air and we both are sneezing more than usual.
    Read more