Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Skopje

    April 25, 2017 in North Macedonia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Was up half the night with bad heartburn - too many sweets haha so I was tired.
    We went and collected the washing - the lady was so cute - she didn't understand we were trying to tip her and she was freaking out that she didn't have the right change. It took a few attempts before she understood.
    We then took our washing home - it's so neatly wrapped and folded :) we then we headed into town.
    I fed some cats along the way. Teehee.
    We decided to have lunch before going to the museum - Will had the best pizza he has had in Europe so far. I got the shopska salad again which I'm loving. It's tomato and cucumber covered in white cheese. The cheese acts as a dressing.
    We then went to the Macedonian archaeological museum which was fantastic! Probably the best museum I've been to. I found out after, we paid extra for entry because we are tourists but oh well, it was still only 300 denar each (locals it's 100 denar)
    The first room had skulls and then above it, clay remodellings and drawings of what the people would have looked like. It also had a shit-tonne of coins which were cute looking and explanations of the different values.
    The next room had your basic old tomb stones and marble figurines - it also had a replica of Alexander the Greats sarcophagus which was cool.
    Upstairs was the best bit. It was two separate floors - the walls were covered in paintings which were scenes of the people using the archaeological artifacts that are in those glass cases (that after you have seen 10 you've seen them all and stop really reading.) the pictures really added colour to the room and help spark your imagination.
    There was a few other skeletons throughout with what they were buried with still with them. I always like that kind of stuff. It's weird thinking it was an actual person.
    On the upper floor they also integrated wax figurines of important Macedonian figures which was also very engaging. There was weapons, jewelry and a kings carriage.
    It had relevant background music playing the whole time which added to the effect and in some spots it had digital pictures on the walls.
    It was just colorful and engaging. I actually really like it and I think Will did too, he didn't try to rush out and because of the other types of displays he didn't have to read as much :)
    The staff were annoying though. We were the only ones there so they followed us everywhere - I understand why they did but it was still too close for comfort. They could have been more sly.
    We then went to get Will his craft beers which he had been dying to try. He tried 3. They all sucked. With the 3rd one he asked for something but they didn't have it so they gave him something else - it was dark beer which he doesn't like so he barely touched it. It smelt like Vegemite..
    I had a mojito.
    Will has also been dying to try the casinos because they are everywhere.
    We tried 1 place but it was closed so we walked 100m and went to the next one lol.
    We played roulette and the pokies.
    A standard loss but we hardly spent anything - all in the experience. Will was horrified that they didn't serve alcohol so we went to an Irish pub. While Will had more drinks I went cat hunting. I found several more :D
    We then went back to our favourite Turkish tea place.
    On the way Will found a dog which we both petted and I tried to feed but he didn't really know what to do with a shmacko.
    We had so much tea, it really grows on you. Will was embarrassing at first - too many beers hahaha he just talks to loudly.
    We paid the bill and Tipped a few euro and the guy was so thankful we got 2 more teas on the house. I think that's why we both like the place so much - beautiful workers with genuine gratitude. Good service, tea and hookah too.
    On our walk home we found 2 more dogs which I fed :)
    The stall owners nearby laughed at me then spoke to me in clear English. Apparently the dog had just finished eating 6 sausages hahahah good puppy <3
    We took some photos in the main square with the selfie stick then walked home and continued my cat hunting :)
    We've packed our bags and are keen for Ohrid lake tomorrow :)
    Read more