Satellite
  • Day 23

    Lake Ohrid

    April 26, 2017 in North Macedonia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Woke up and packed up our final things, returned our key, payed and had reception order us a taxi.
    We probably should have left a little earlier because there was way more traffic than expected.. but we made it onto the bus in time
    :)
    Ew, what a horrible journey. The driver should be fired. Not only were the roads so bendy but he was thumping the break pedal.
    Me and Will both felt so sick. And sleepy.
    We had a 10 minute stop essentially for the driver to eat because I'm quite confident he would have driven off without us had I not been watching him. We sped back to the bus just in time.
    The food was good but we didn't get to finish it. We asked for lemonade but we're given a bitter lemon which was disgusting and tasted exactly as the name suggests.
    I think I slept for maybe 30 mins out of the 3.5hr drive. I kept banging my head against the wall with his terrible driving.
    I was getting very agitated but nothing compared to Will. He was quickly losing it.
    We did finally arrive - at which time the bus driver nearly ran into us - he was a real dick.
    We needed to sit for a while because we both wanted to vomit. Will had a cappuccino in a local store so we could sit and have access to the toilets.
    After, we caught a taxi from Ohrid to our hostel.
    Our taxi driver was great - we are possibly going to call him later in the week to take us for a private tour around the lake which crosses into Albania.
    Our hostel is cute, like little handmade cottages.
    We had a 4 hour sleep then finally were ready to get going.
    We met an English guy (not really fussed by him) and went to dinner at a local resturant together - pretty uneventful. The lake is STUNNING. And huge. Over 300m deep.
    On the way to the resturant there was a dog i patted so it happily followed us for a long while.
    Back at the hostel I had a shower and FINALLY washed my hair. The shower is a little bit better than the last place but still not great. Will doesn't fit this one either hahaha.
    We then went up and sat with a few people around a table. One girl was polish and the others worked at the place.
    The others went on a hike today and picked some thyme so we all had a pot of thyme tea :) I quite liked it. Will hated it.
    We then went inside and watched a terrible terrible Macedonian movie. It was so bad I couldn't look away.
    The polish girl has given us some spots to visit in Poland so that's exciting :)
    There is a dog here who I had a play with - Labrador :D
    There is a bee in our room but we have lost it now :S I don't want to get stung.
    Our room is small but cosy.
    Today was another waste day. Tomorrow we will hopefully pick up the pace again :)
    Read more