Satellite
  • Day 25

    Lake Ohrid

    April 28, 2017 in North Macedonia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Woke up and turned the alarm clock off before Will could hear it muahaha.
    Dad called this morning to make sure the number I gave him worked so that was good :) was nice to hear his voice but we had to hang up or else it would have cost a fortune. I had a shower and washed some of my clothes in with me then hung them out to dry.
    We went and had breakfast over in the eating area which had a nice vibe. There are 2 new German girls but we didn't talk.
    We wanted to go on a hike in the mountains so we filled up our camel packs and put shorts on.
    There is an ongoing disagreement about this but just for the official record - my camel pack is better than Wills.
    We found the hostel owners and asked them where the trail started - instead they organized to drive us up the mountain to meet up with a group that had already begun.
    We met up with the two male workers and 2 new Swiss girls at the spot which was what felt like miles up the mountain through twists and turns. It was a cafe of the most basic kind. Will got a coffee and I got a tea but they weren't normal either. Mine was organic and made from some herb with lemon and Wills was just odd in appearance but tasted alright.
    The Swiss girls are nice. Clear English. I like listening to them speaking French to each other.
    I was given a walking stick but it's annoying to hold.
    After a long time we started walking and ended up at two old peoples house (one of the workers - Michails - adopted grandparents) in the middle of an amazing, abandoned tradition village. Only 7 people still live here. It was awesome! It reminded me a little of the Kenyan villages.
    It was thatched house styles and lots of barns with holes in walls. I loved it. I think Will loved it too. It was authentic. There was realness that can't be faked.
    The 2 people didn't speak English but god they were cute. The woman was so small and wrinkly. She came up to Wills belly button hahahah.

    So Macedonia has this thing called radka** and a bottle got pulled out at the house along with a sandwich. It was in a vodka bottle and I was originally pleased to learn it wasn't vodka... that was until I had a sniff. It was nail polish remover. O.o
    Me and Will were quietly trying to psych ourselves up to be able to shot it.
    Everyone was given a shot glass - we were suppose to sip it not shot it. We both managed to finish it but it nearly killed us. It was so horrible. If there hadn't have been bread to scoff down afterwards I would have puked for sure.
    I've been having the most awful burps ever since.
    We stayed for around 40 mins. I had a lot of fun. It was wonderful to watch them interact in their native tongue and see how these people live. Most people have left the village due to lack of water. I asked how the couple survives and apparently one of there son visits every 3 days with food.
    The old lady had the littlest but broken hands. They were cute to look at but probably have caused her a lot of pain.
    I wanted to put her in my pocket.
    They had a dog in the shed tied up that I went and patted because I think it was getting stressed it couldn't get to us and wanted to say hi :)
    "Booba" the dog had come on the hike with us. They call her boobie. :)
    She is so well trained.
    We walked through the village - I would like to re highlight how much I loved it.
    And through this field with flowers that came up to just below my knee. I'm genuinely surprised I wasn't stung by a bee because it's spring at the moment and the amount of pollen and BUGS is ridiculous.
    We saw a donkey carrying a lot of wood down the street and walked past a small cemetery. There was also the most random church/alter in the middle of nowhere.
    The hike was easy - all downhill. Woohoo!
    We came across a patch of thyme and collected a lot for more tea.
    We also came across a snake. The workers blocked the path until I reminded them we were Australian then they let us pass hahah.
    There is a dead animal down by the side of the road near the entrance to the hostel - I asked them what it was - it's a badger. I hope I see a live one at some point.
    The views were of course breathtaking.
    Will has taken my walking stick so I don't have to carry it anymore :) it wasn't doing anything to help.
    We have arrived at a place for lunch. They have cooked a traditional Macedonian Lunch. Moussaka, a tzatziki type duo, chilly/egg dip and breads. It was tasty but Will LOVED it and cobbled down 2 massive serves.
    We have only walked about an hour ropes and this is our 4th break...
    typical Macedonian people we have eating and everyone else is currently having a siesta before dessert - they will probably have another one after that too hahah.
    This is why nothing gets done. At the start of the hike we were told it would take 5 hours and they questioned our level of fitness.
    Overall we ended up walking for 75 mins then sitting/eating for 300 minutes.

    We were offered dessert of baklava which was yum, walked some the mountain for a bit and then got picked up and driven back to hostel. Will got out at the bottom to buy beer with the workers and dog. I got driven up with the Swiss girls. Until I got to the room and realized Will had the key -.-
    so I waited 30 minutes for him to get back to be told he didn't even lock it to begin with......... gah!
    We both showered and checked ourselves for ticks - all clear!
    We then sat up at the eating area cause I think Will is really keen to make friends but there was no one there really. We ended up playing cards and I'm now going to read some of my book :)
    Will just moved and knocked the laptop off the bed - it's a bunk bed type setup so the fall was extra large. If I had done it he would have lost his shit.
    Thankfully the laptop is fine.
    Read more