Satellite
  • Day 51

    Transit

    May 24, 2017 in Bulgaria ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    I woke up at 4:50 and was devastated to discover my alarm would go off in 10 minutes 😒 We got up to say goodbye to everyone, eat breakfast and pack. Danny said he would be a max 40 minutes before he came back to get us. He took 2 hours. Just upset because I could have slept longer.
    He drove us to the next town over to the bus station where we were told different times for the buses - 8:20 and 9:20. Having no faith in the system, he then left us alone in a location of questionable functionality to fend for ourselves. We asked him where to stand and he said under the sign that said Veliko Taranovo.... all letters are In the Cyrillic alphabet... what pointless advice. 😒
    The bus was pretty on time - only 10 minutes late. It was a tiny little thing but we got on woohoo! One stress down! The bus took an hour through windy mountains.
    Veliko Tarnovo looks like a shit hole but it's been really talked up so im holding out hope..

    We got off the bus and Will was about to wee himself so that was job one.
    Job two was find wifi to contact our host but first we for some banitzas at the convenience store nearby.
    We got a lady taxi driver who didn't speak English. I'm so over giving them the address, then saying ok, putting our luggage in the boot, sitting in the car and then the driver communicating they don't know the address. Like, if you don't know where you are going don't let me get in the car 😩
    Anyway she drove us. I was having such bad anxiety the whole way because she didn't understand the address so we "communicated" to take us to the castle - I didn't know if she had understood.
    We were told it was about 3km away. But because today is some Slavic holiday there were road closures and we went on some massive detour. I focused on my breathing. Lol
    We got dropped off at the bottom of a hill near the castle and had to lug our bags up because of another road closure.. -.-
    We found a cafe with free wifi and sat there for a few hours while we waited for our host to reply.
    He never did so we went looking for the apartment. Boy oh boy was that not fun. Why is it so difficult every time? When we put the address into maps it took us to a bunch of trees.
    We, again, had to ask several different people where to go. I was so hot and flustered. It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have our luggage.
    We asked the people across the street and they took 4 minutes to figure out where to go but they found it for us thank heavens.
    The owner was inside so we were thankful the journey was over.
    He was nice but had the worst coffee breath and his English wasn't the best so it really took a long time for him to string sentences together.
    The view is spectacular- it's right across from the fortress/castle and on the best street we have seen so far. The area has a nice vibe - lots of souvenir shops.
    I had a 4 hour nap IN A BED ❤️❤️❤️ and we both spent an unnecessary amount of time on the toilet just savoring the moment.
    After my nap we went searching for food and an ATM. We got rejected from 3 separate ATM's with our travel card so we just used Wills normal bank card which is annoying and would have cost a lot more. We don't know why majority of the Bulgarian ATMs haven't worked.
    There was a congregation of people in the street waiting for a parade or something but as we didn't know the start time we didn't bother hanging around.
    We ate at a pizza/Grill resturant and took the leftovers home to put in the fridge.
    I had a shower but the water turned cold halfway through so I'll have to shave the other leg and condition my hair tomorrow haha.
    We plan to have a sleep in extremely lazy tomorrow - so very excited.
    We have 5 nights here so we have time. There is a multimedia tourist thing across the road I want to go to. it is medieval things out the front - Veliko Tarnovo was the old capital of Bulgaria apparently?
    Will is watching liar liar on the to at the moment.
    I still have nightmares about 'the claw' thanks Trevor. 😰
    I was so thirsty when we went walking. I need to drink more water.
    SO HAPPY THAT THERE ARE NO ANTS IN MY BED.
    I don't know if our Johanna and Danny enjoyed having us. Comments they both made this morning kind of put me off a bit. Danny said something along the lines of "rose picking isn't your thing" LOL
    That was probably Will complaining about his back but still little awkward.
    They knew I don't like early mornings but I really enjoy picking. They must just not know me well enough to know the things aren't related.
    I hate getting up for work but I do love my job. Nothing will make me like mornings lol.
    I think Will took the piss too often too. That's a cultural thing though and can't be changed.
    Their loss 😛
    I did like them a lot though.
    ONTO THE NEXR ADVENTURE... :D
    Read more