Satellite
  • Day 72

    Rotterdam

    June 14, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Woke up to find everyone in our room had left so it was just us.
    Will said I had poo breath so he made me brush my teeth before we called Jess because today is a difficult day for her - it's her wedding anniversary so we just wanted to check in.
    We chatted for a bit until we got passed to Helen and Bill. We hadn't talked in a while so it was nice. Jaxon kept on trying to pull Bills hair which was so funny to watch because you could just tell by the look on his face he thought he was hilarious hahah
    We then called Mum and Dad. Dad accepted the call but we didn't talk straight away because he had to finish his game of solitaire first...... hahahah glad to know he misses me soooo much :P
    He called mum and we chatted for a while. They still haven't gotten the parcel so
    I will have to check its tracking tomorrow.
    Dad told us he had pulled out of Kokoda which from what he said was the smarter decision but I'm still disappointed for him. I think he was looking forward to it.
    We didn't chat about much. I just said things I knew they had already read in my journal but I didn't want to hang up so I just kept talking.
    When we did hang up me and Will then went downstairs to have breakfast in the lobby. So far the Netherlands, or rather Rotterdam is cheaper than Belgium even if only by a little bit. It's most welcomed. We then went for an aimless walk of the city. You could slot sections of it into Sydney.
    I quite like it actually even though there isn't really anything to do.
    You have to be so careful with the trams though - they have tracks through grass so you think your safe standing in the middle section when actually you could get hit any second.
    There is a massive statue of Santa and yesterday we saw it and I though he was maybe holding an ice cream cone with a few scoops but we have since discovered it's actually a butt plug..... hahahaha
    It was suppose to be a Christmas tree but it got renamed because of its appearance hahah
    What a great statue.
    We went and sat in a park thing. More like a little pond in the middle of the city - we watched some baby ducks eat algae. The ducks have stairs to enter and exit the pond from 😂
    I smell lots of weed.
    We found an IMAX and decided to buy tickets for guardians of the galaxy. We had 2 hours to kill so we went back to the park and just relaxed. It's very peaceful.
    I can't deal with some of their biking skills.
    The balance and maneuvering is insane!
    We still don't know who has right of way.
    The cinema was pretty empty. The adds were in Dutch so they were fun to watch.
    The movie itself was in English but had Dutch subtitles.
    Wills brain is exploding because we have learnt that 'Vader' is father in Dutch and he has made a connection in relation to Darth Vader from Star Wars.
    I enjoyed the movie. There was a few times where they tried to hard to funny but I did enjoy it.
    We walked home and are now relaxing. Still no one in our dorm.
    I have organized pick up tomorrow with our Bnb host. Hopefully it all goes smoothly. The guy is from
    Aleppo, Syria so we will have to really watch our tongues more than usual regarding politics and refugees etc.
    There is an advertised "gym" in our hostel. That means 2 ropes hanging from the ceiling and a heavy ball.

    Today we also found the 2nd best statue. It was a dog and a turd hahahah
    SUPERB!
    We had diner on our way home from the theatre. I'm so happy I never unpacked so I have nothing to pack tomorrow! Woohoo!

    I just went to do a quick wee which ended up taking me on a midnight ad adventure for a girl in the shower. She said she forgot her towel and could I go get it for her. She told me what room so I awkwardly entered a dorm with 4 people and embarrassingly started looking through what I thought was her stuff.
    I eventually felt far too uncomfortable so I went to my room and got her mine.
    She was very appreciative though.
    Bed time ✌🏼✌🏼✌🏼

    In messaged all the Danish girls earlier. I have their schedules so I will hopefully book Denmark soon. :)
    Read more